Tuesday, November 8, 2011

We are family

About a week after we moved to California, my mom told me she got tickets for her, my dad, and her parents (my grandparents) to come visit in November. I was stoked. My grandparents are a young 82, and just a joy to be around. However, they do not travel much anymore. I think they have only flown once or twice since 9/11. So you can imagine what an adventure it was for them to travel all the way to Californ-i-a, for the first time ever! I am so very glad they came.

We didn't do your typical sight seeing, because that could easily get pricey and crowded, but we did take them to see La Jolla, a beautiful city just north of San Diego that sits right on the water. Let me just tell you, it is a little slice of heaven. A beautiful shade of aqua water, blue skies, tropical flowers, and beautiful rocky beaches and sea caves. Paradise, only a short drive from home!



While at the MCX, a lady told Papa he looks just like Andy Griffith. What do you think? I always did when I was little.


The best part of the trip was of course the time we spent together. I love to hear my grandparents' stories. Papa always tells us the stories of the girls he was "going" with in high school. He and my grandma grew up in the smallest town in Tennessee, Red Boiling Springs. "Me and Junior (his deceased brother in law) had seen Jean and June (my grandma and her twin) were cheerleaders, and heard they wanted to go with boys with cars. Well now, me and Junior had cars, and that's how we won them over. They would have taken anyone with cars!"
She is quite a catch!
It clearly wasn't just the car, he is a lady's man!

At one point, we were discussing my grandma's excellent skill of couponing. Papa: "That's how she got me! But she's still clipping those coupons looking for a better deal!"

Papa: "We've been married for 62 years, and you know, that woman still locks the bathroom door when its just me and her home."

Yes, they've been happily married for 62 years. Let's pray that I will be as fortunate to have 62 years together with Jason! Also, grandma is a twin, and my cousin has twin boys. Jason tells me he is hoping for twins at some point. I see my family is causing us to set some high expectations :)
My sweet parents, following in my grandparent's footsteps of a long, happy marriage


It was a wonderful time, and I was so sad to see them go. In fact, I think this was the hardest goodbye I have had to say to my family. But I enjoyed all the special memories, and I was fortunate enough to have an extra day with my dad while Jason was in the field.

1 comment:

  1. Visitors... that sounds like fun! (hint, hint:) ) Aren't grandparent's stories the best? I love hearing my grandpa talk about when he first laid eyes on my grandma and how he won her over. So cute. The love between them in almost tangible; it is quite inspiring. Anyways, it seems like your sweet grandparents are the same. To a long, happy marriage!

    ReplyDelete