Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Gumby and Friends

Disclaimer: this is about my dog

Almost 2 years ago, while we lived in Virginia, I was wondering down the pet aisle at WalMart, when I stumbled across a Gumby dog toy on clearance. It was only $3. At that point, Starbuck had gone through many dog toys, and I thought it couldn't hurt to try out a clearance toy. Plus, major bonus, it's GUMBY! Who doesn't love that green flexible little dude? Well, I took Gumby home, and it was love at first sight. Gumby was always Starbuck's favorite toy. Over the months, however, Gumby suffered some basic wear and tear. Most of his more severe damage was due to rough-housing with Starbuck's dog friends, who didn't understand what a special toy he was. That brings us to present day. Gumby looks a little something like this.

Needless to say, he's a little worse for the wear.

The funny thing is, we stopped buying Starbuck toys shortly after Gumby, because he never liked anything as much as Gumby. He knows him by name. The words "where's Gumby?" have great meaning to Starbuck. He plays fetch AND hide and seek with Gumby.

Well, a couple days ago, I decided it was time to replace Gumby. I found a new one on Amazon, and couldn't resist getting Pokey so the team could play together.

The package was dropped off today. I had the main door open, so all that was between UPS and Starbuck was the metal screen door. He went nutso. As soon as I brought the package in, He was STANDING on his hind legs, something I have never seen him do before, sniffing the package. He knew it was for him! My dog is the smartest dog ever. (You may have thought it was yours, but you are sadly mistaken.)

I set the package down, and the next few minutes went a little something like this.

Eventually, I was able to pull it together, stop laughing, and stop torturing him by opening the package. Needless to say he is one happy dude today. Everytime I stand up, he freaks out, like I'm going to take them away, and rounds them all up together near him.
desperate to open his package. What a genuis

old friends meeting new friends. Worlds merging.


"If Starbuck ever has an E-harmony profile, this would be his profile pic"


You know that typical sitcom episode? Where the parents kill the pet turtle/hamster? And they go out to buy a new one, hoping the kid will love it just as much, but they never do? Well, it must be different for dogs. Not only does Starbuck have enough love for the new Gumby and Pokey, but also he has plenty of love still for that demented, decapitated Gumby.

What can I say? He has enough love to go around.

Someone raised him right.

2 comments:

  1. Dog's are destined to be man's best friend.
    They offer love, protection and companionship everything you needed for a pet.

    ReplyDelete